Mestia Municipality is the self-governing unit, located in the Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region. Mestia Municipality borders with Russian Federation on the north and north-east, Gulripshi and Ochamchire Municipalities (both fall under the Occupied Territories) on the west, Tsalenjikha Municipality, Chkhorotsku Municipality and Lentekhi Municipality on the south.
Mestia Municipality consists of 16 administrative-territorial units: 1 urban settlement - Mestia and 15 village unions - Becho, Etseri, Ipari, Kala, Latali, Lakhamula, Lenjeri, Mulakhi, Nakra, Ushguli, Pari, Tskhumari, Tsvirmi, Chuberi, Khaishi.
- Population (total) - 14,248
- Population according to gender: female - 7,359; male - 6,902
- Population according to residence: urban - 2,582; rural - 11,679
- Population according to ethnicity: Georgian - 14,168; Russian - 52; Abkhaz - 12; Armenian - 11; Ossetian - 3; Ukrainian - 1
- Size of the territory - 3,045 km2