Municipality is the self-governing unit, located in the Samtskhe-Javakheti region. Municipality borders with Borjomi Municipality on the north, Aspindza Municipality on the west, Turkey on the south-west, Ninotsminda Municipality on the south-east and east and Tsalka Municipality on the east.
Municipality consists of 22 administrative-territorial units: 1 town - Akhalkalaki; 15 village unions - Azavreti, Alastani, Aragva, Baraleti, Gogasheni, Vachiani, Zaki, Kartikami, Kochio, Gumburdo, Karzakhi, Okami, Sulda, Khaveti, Khospio and 6 separate villages - Diliska, Kotelia, Ptena, Turtskhi, Chunchkha, Khando.
- Population (total) - 60,975
- Population according to gender: female - 31,199; male - 29,287
- Population according to residence: urban - 9,768; rural - 50,718
- Population according to ethnicity: Armenian - 57,516; Georgian - 3,214; Russian - 157; Greek - 51; Ukrainian - 14; Ossetian - 10; Abkhaz - 3; Azeri - 3
- Size of the territory - 1,235 km2