Municipality is the self-governing unit, located in the Samtskhe-Javakheti region. Municipality borders with Borjomi Municipality on the north, Akhaltsikhe Municipality on the north and north-west, Turkey on the south-west and Akhalkalaki Municipality on the east.
Municipality consists of 12 administrative-territorial units: 1 urban settlement - Aspindza; 8 village unions - Vargavi, Idumala,Tmogvi, Nakalakevi, Orgori, Saro, Tolosha, Dzveli. and 5 separate villages - Atskviti, Damala, Ota, Rustavi, Khizabavra.
- Population (total) - 13,010
- Population according to gender: female - 6,751; male - 6,355
- Population according to residence: urban - 3,324; rural - 9,782
- Population according to ethnicity: Georgian - 10,671; Armenian - 2,273; Russian - 34; Greek - 8; Ossetian - 9; Ukrainian - 5; Abkhaz - 4
- Size of the territory - 825 km2