Kareli Municipality is the self-governing unit, located in the Shida Kartli region. Kareli Municipality borders with Sachkhere Municipality on the north-west, Khashuri Municipality on the west, Borjomi Municipality on the south, Gori Municipality on the east, Liakhvi Municipality and Java Municipality (which fall under the Occupied Territories) on the north-east.
Kareli Municipality consists of 23 administrative-territorial units: 1 town - Kareli; 2 urban settlements - Agara, Kornisi; 16 village unions - Abisi, Avlevi, Akhalsopeli, Balta, Bebnisi, Breti, Bredzi, Dirbi, Zemo Khvedureti, Teregvani, Kekhijvari, Mokhisi, Ruisi, Urbnisi, Kornisi, Dzvileti and 4 village unions, in which part of the villages fall under the Occupied Territories: Avnevi (Arkneti and Nuli villages fall under the Occupied Territories), Zghudri (Artsevi falls under the Occupied Territories), Tighvi (Akhalsopeli and Okona fall under the Occupied Territories), Ptsa (Tamarasheni).
- Population (total) - 50,422
- Population according to gender: female - 25,840; male - 24,477
- Population according to residence: urban - 10,724; rural - 39,593
- Population according to ethnicity: Georgian - 45,593; Ossetian - 2,755; Azeri - 1,183; Armenian - 542; Russian - 217; Greek - 52; Abkhaz - 25; Ukrainian - 21
- Size of the territory - 1,092 km2
The following villages in Kareli are occupied: