Akhmeta Municipality is the self-governing unit, located in the Kakheti region. Akhmeta Municipality borders with Chechen Republic (Russian Federtion) on the north, Dusheti Municipality and Tianeti Municipality on the west, Sagarejo Municipality on the south, Telavi Municipality and Republic of Dagestan (Russian Federation) on the east.
Akhmeta Municipality consists of 14 administrative-territorial units: 1 town - Akhmeta; 11 village unions - Duisi, Zemo Avlani, Khalatsani, Zemo Khodasheni, Maghraani, Ozhio, Kvemo Alvani, Kistauri, Matani, Tusheti,Jokolo and 2 separate villages -, Kasristskali.
- Population (total) - 41,641
- Population according to gender: female - 21,294; male - 19,706
- Population according to residence: urban - 8,559; rural - 32,441
- Population according to ethnicity: Georgian - 31,237; Kist - 6,928; Ossetian - 1,961; Azeri - 152; Russian - 134; Armenian - 100; Abkhaz - 10; Greek - 6; Ukrainian - 6; Yezidi - 2
- Size of the territory - 2,208km2